Dont run water before plugging and filling up bathtub.
Turn faucet off while you are brushing your teeth or
Use aerators on all faucets.
Keep a container of drinking water in refrigerator.
Wash only full loads in automatic dishwasher.
Periodically check all plumbing, faucets, shower heads,
pressure relief valves (water heater), water softener (regenerating type) for leak and/or
Insert low-flow shower heads which can reduce water use by
Shower for less time.
Change toilets to Ultra Low Flow toilets (1.5 gal/flush)
Check toilet periodically for leak and/or plumbing problems.
Dont use toilets as trash baskets.
If replacing clothes washer, replace it with a "Front
Wash full loads in automatic washer to save water and
Reduce the amount of time that your water softener
When vacating the house for a period of time, bypass the
regeneration cycle of your water softener.
- Sweep off sidewalks, driveways, patios, tennis courts,
etc. Dont hose off!!
- When washing your car, use a hose nozzle and a bucket.
- Obtain the water use requirements of your landscaping.
- For gardens, make small irrigation ditches along rows of
- Monitor your timers daily.
- Inform your gardener of the importance of water
- Utilize water efficient irrigation system.
- Water in early morning or late evening.
- Water slowly to reduce runoff and to allow deep penetration.
- Dig out water-loving weeds and cultivate soil often.
- Dont overwater! Water only when needed. Plants or
lawns may be dormant in the winter, and may not require watering. Consult a landscape
- Put mulch layers around trees and shrubs.
- Replace water using plants with drought-resistant types.
- Replace sandy or clay soil with a loam.
- Keep grass longer in warmer weather, which provides shade
for soil and root system and reduces water loss.
- Water your lawn area less frequently and for a shorter
length of time. Lawns usually require one to two waterings a week to a depth of 6" to
- If the pressure in your area is high, install a pressure
regulator to reduce water usage, and minimize sprinkler problems.
- Make sure hose connections are tight in order to prevent
- Monitor your sprinkler heads, and adjust the sprinkler heads
- Periodically check irrigation lines for leaks.
- Install a pool cover in order to reduce water loss from